Development + Security + Operations
In a traditional Software Development practice security is often an afterthought, formed to assess software security standards only towards the end of the lifecycle using a specialist team who often work on silos without understanding the story so far. However, after agile software development and DevOps have revolutionized the software development approach emphasizing on speed to market, gone are those days of deploying applications without embedding security controls early in the development life cycle.
While DevOps focuses on transforming the organization by identifying toil between development and operational dependencies, security was still a left-out practice until DevSecOps was introduced as a concept to integrate security practices within the DevOps process. The DevSecOps, like DevOps itself, is focused on creating new solutions for complex software development processes within an agile framework.
Many highly prepared organizations (45%) embed security into their DevOps processes and almost as many (41%) integrate security in at least four stages of the development life cycle.
To establish an effective DevSecOps practice and reap benefits strategically
- Execute an iterative multi-phased DevSecOps implementation plan to achieve security and compliance objectives while de-risk investment
- Integrate security from the start and across the pipeline
- Track and monitor each software stack meticulously to identify which needs patching.
- Implement code dependency checks, vulnerability assessments and best practices in discovery test process for security testing
- Enable security scanning needs across the entire software delivery cycle using SAST, DAST and SCA
- Cultivate DevSecOps culture by providing training on secure development and its important application security